CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Ann-a-ka

I knew when we named our little girl that there would be a bit of explanation when first meeting someone. People are used to a different pronunciation. Many think On-a-ka and we simply smile and tell them its Ann-a-ka.

Since Annaka was born at a birth center and not a hospital, and with midwives rather than doctors, the pediatrician wanted to see her two days after birth. Clint and I took her in and were sitting in the waiting room when we encountered a pronunciation we had never expected. *Note to self here...I was still dealing with crazy hormones and no sleep with a 2 day old* The nurse opened the big door to the examination rooms and called for A-nok-a. "What? Surely she does not mean us" I thought. I felt my face turn red as I got offended. My calm husband simply got up, chuckled as we walked past the nurse and said "That rhymes with Binaca!" I had to stop and laugh. Here I was getting overheated about it and he simply made a joke. I am so glad he was with me.

I was reminded of this story on Friday because I had to take Annaka to the pediatrician's office and yet again they got her name wrong. (dont worry at least it was closer than A-nok-a this time) She was sick for the first time. Oh my! It broke my heart to hear her wheezing all congested and sad. She was so cuddly and slept a lot during the day. She did not sleep at all at night and would not eat at all! She then slept mostly in her swing so she could be upright....
The Dr. said her congestion was in her head and not in her chest yet which was good. She did scream when they were taking her temperature in a not-so-normal place. I was holding her hands and talking to her...reminding her that it is not as bad as the five shots she got at her last appointment. Annaka was not amused, though the nurse seemed to be. Sometimes I dont know which is worse though....her 5 shots, having her temp taken at the Dr's, or using that squeegie ball thing on her nose. Hmmm, the hardships of being a baby.

Then Saturday Clint and I got sick too. All I could think of was "Oh no! I hope she did not feel this bad!"



She is balding. Definitely has the 'old man' head right now. I am hoping her hair will grow in soon...but it is unlikely since I was bald until age 3. I mean come on...this bald spot is as smooth as her cheek. Not even any stubble or peach fuzz.

I had better go for now. Its almost bathtime.

4 comments:

natalie said...

awe!! i miss you guys SO much!! i love you!

Alethia said...

the bald spot will fill in when she starts being on her tummy more... it's just her looking around and wearing her hair off... so cute tho! Kenzie was so "busy" that hers looked like I had shaved a strip from one ear to the other around the back of her head...lol!

natalie said...

i saved the 2 messages on my phone when you called me...once when she was crying because you had stopped at a stoplight and the other one when you called and she was "talking" :) i love and miss you all like CRAzY!!

Anonymous said...

look at those cute toes in the last pic